Friday, June 20, 2008

Jane Woody, Alice Springs




Current band rollcall? Jane Woody - plays everything, drums, guitar and bass
Jane Woody has been around since... 2006
First song ever written? 'Sit/Stand', recorded on a dictaphone years ago.
Music-making for you began when... I used to drum for my brother when he'd play Poison songs on his guitar. I'd use two school rulers and hit piles of books (dinting mum's good encyclopedias) in his bedroom when we were really young. We worshiped Poison and Def Leppard and Gunners. I didn't even wear a shirt whilst drumming, that's how seriously rock I was.
Most unusual sound/instrument you've used in your music? I'm always a fan of Casio keyboard beats put through a distortion pedal and guitar amp.
Strangest gig you've ever played?
Swingin Safari on the Gold Coast, it was just strange, there was a 'homely' vibe out the back - like a record player and a book shelf. After quite a few drinks, I found a book called Ten Poems To Change Your Life and I had a really intense reflective moment. I stole the book. When sober it didn't have quite the same impact...
Do you place things in the studio to inspire you?
With this album, Big Breaths, Little Lungs, I ate lots of dried apple and M&Ms and I had a pic up on the wall of a girl line dancing - I really like country music. We had a cat in the studio called Lilly and she was delightful to be around.
Unlikeliest thing to influence your music?
This is hard because absolutely everything that happens to me influences my music. Umm...I'd have to say A Current Affair, or Today Tonight. That stuff seriously doesn't influence my music.
Most unconventional topic you've covered in your lyrics....
Probably this stupid song about a shoe doctor I wrote with a friend when we were a little drunk. What the fuck is a shoe doctor?
If you had to offer any of your lyrics as love advice (or life advice), you would offer "How will you survive if you make it your plight to keep everyone else alive?"
Most useful lyrics you've heard in a song?
Most recently, Kimya Dawson, "I got good at feeling bad and that's why I'm still here."
You would love to record with... Prince
If record stores had to come up with a new genre name to file your music under, it would be called.... "Introverted-lovesick-obsessive-pop"
Next for you is... More recording and more dancin.

Five things you currently love

Musically? The Donnas - I love the simple lyrics about making out in cars.
In Print? Some excellent zines, namely Damki and a Melbourne one about Neighbours called Erinsborough Exploits - and also a magazine called Juxtaposition. Anything creative and interesting.
Locally? A place called the Tea Shrine in Alice Springs. Heaps of great tea and this amazing local coffee.
Visually? Some excellent Aboriginal artists around Alice.
Cinematically? La Vie En Rose - the Edith Piaf film. I loved it.

Jane Woody's sweet DIY synth-pop album, Big Breaths, Little Lungs was recently released on Valve. If you're sonically curious about her music, you can hear it here

No comments: